Activities of the VIP Protection Department are based on the following principles: the rule of law, legitimacy, observation of human rights and freedoms, equality of persons before the law, parity, compatibility between publicity and confidentiality, service discipline and political neutrality.
The main task of the VIP Protection Department is to ensure the protection of state leaders, persons substituting for the Chairman of the Seimas and the Prime Minister, members of their families, official guests visiting the Republic of Lithuania and other persons against attempts on their lives and/or health and the protection of the objects protected.
The VIP Protection Department:
1. On the territory of the Republic of Lithuania, organises and carries out the protection of the persons protected, coordinates actions of the services under the Ministry of the Interior and other institutions assisting in ensuring the security of the persons and facilities protected and within the scope of its competence is responsible for the security of the persons and objects protected;
2. Across the borders of the Republic of Lithuania, ensures only the close protection of the state leaders. The framework for the protection of the state leaders across the borders of the Republic of Lithuania is established in the international legislation;
3. Performs criminal intelligence activities to ensure the accomplishment of the tasks assigned in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation and to the extent defined by the Government;
4. Carries out preventive activities with regard to terrorist acts against the persons and facilities protected in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation and within the scope of its competence;
5. Establishes and ensures a special regime in the facilities protected;
6. While monitoring the access of persons lawfully carrying arms, parts of firearms or ammunition to the protected facilities, provides for a possibility to leave arms, parts of firearms or ammunition for temporary storage during the visit to the facility in accordance with the procedure established by the Director of the VIP Protection Department;
7. Collects, accumulates, analyses and summarises information related to the tasks accomplished and functions performed;
8. Performs other functions established by the legislation.